South Africa has a wide range of resources with a unique advantage in mineral and metal resources. Not only does the country have a considerable portion of the world’s known reserves of alumino-silicates, chromium, iron ore, gold, manganese, platinum-group metals, vanadium and vermiculite, but it is also rich in antimony, fluorspar, phosphate rock, titanium and zirconium. South Africa is the world leader in mining and minerals, with the lion’s share of global reserves and production. Our wealth has been built on the country’s vast resources - nearly 90% of the platinum metals on earth, 80% of the manganese, 73% of the chrome, 45% of the vanadium and 41% of the gold. Over a century of expertise in mining has made South Africa the world’s leading producer of a range of minerals and metals. And there’s still huge potential for the discovery of other mineral deposits in areas yet to be exhaustively explored and beneficiated.
For the beneficiation of the countries minerals Coega Development Corporation has allocated two zones for primary metal investments. Zone 6 a Ferrous Metals Cluster (1051 hectares) has been designated to attract iron, steel, ferro-alloy (FeMn, FeCr and FeNi) and stainless steel manufacturers, while Zone 5 has been demarcated for non-ferrous metals (758 hectares).
Independent studies have identified the Coega IDZ location for metal sector investments are technically feasible and economically viable for the following production plants:
- Iron and carbon steel manufacturing
- Stainless Steel manufacturing and strip-mill
- Ferro-Chrome Smelter
- Ferro-Nickel Smelter
- Ferromanganese Smelter
COEGA IDZ OFFERING
The Coega IDZ ideal logistical location with its world-class infrastructure offers a range of benefits for metal industry smelters and manufacturing companies reducing the production input cost imperatives through its availability of raw materials and labour and many more. The Coega offering involves the following:
- Collaborative incentive packages with National, Provincial and Municipal entities
- Facilitation with Government entities eg work permits etc.
- Offering support with Safety, Health, Environment and Quality services eg EIA process
- Technical support with Information Communication and Telecommunication (ICT) services
- Human capital development and labour management services
- Business management services building capacity with supplier and service providers
- Accommodation solutions
- The Port Elizabeth region offer an Ease of doing business and lifestyle with its world class theatres, pristine beaches, public amenities, top achieving schools and unspoiled beaches.
For investors who wish to take advantage of opportunities in the metals sector, please contact
Mr Sadick Davids:
Telephone: +27 41 403 0480
Fax: +27 41 403 0401
Cell: +27 84 570 2849
For current metals project click on current investors.